SSE Airtricity Scholarship Fund
In Northern Ireland, SSE Airtricity has partnered with two of Northern Ireland’s largest education providers, the University of Ulster and South West College, to launch the SSE Airtricity Scholarship Fund.
The Scholarship Fund has a total annual value of almost £100,000 and more than 20 students per year from Counties Derry-Londonderry and Tyrone will receive 50% funding support from SSE Airtricity towards the cost of their Third Level student fees at the University of Ulster and South West College.
SSE Airtricity is Northern Ireland’s second largest energy provider, supplying natural gas and greener electricity to over 300,000 Northern Irish homes and businesses, and is the country’s largest renewable energy generator owning and operating 88MW of wind farm generation to power 75,000 homes of SSE Airtricity customers in Northern Ireland.
Now in its third year, the SSE Airtricity Scholarship is one of the most significant bursary schemes available to full and part-time students in Northern Ireland. This year, SSE Airtricity will provide around £80,000 in funding for 20 students from Co. Derry~Londonderry and Co. Tyrone, covering 50% of their fees at either Ulster University or South West College. This latest contribution brings the total funding awarded by the SSE Airtricity Scholarship since 2014 to almost £250,000.
The date for acceptance of applications for the SSE scholarship has been extended until Friday 20th October 2017.
Scholarships are on offer for bachelor’s and master’s degrees at Ulster University, and bachelor’s and foundation degrees at South West College. The funding from SSE Airtricity is available for a broad range of subjects, including business, media and design, however, there is a particular emphasis on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) courses.
As Northern Ireland’s leading provider of wind power and second largest energy utility, SSE Airtricity is working with Ulster University and South West College to create greater awareness and diversity in STEM subjects, in a bid to increase employment in those areas in Northern Ireland. Among the foundation degrees available at South West College under the Scholarship this year are courses on Renewable Energy and Wind Turbine Technology.
To apply for The SSE Airtricity Scholarship please complete this application form
. Further information including FAQs can be found at our websites sseairtricity.com and Ireland.sse.com.
Download Application Form
How many scholarships are there?
There are twelve 50% funded scholarships available to both undergraduate and postgraduate, part- and full-time students at the University of Ulster, ten 50% funded Foundational Degrees, and two 100% funded online courses with unlimited attendance at South West College.
Who is eligible to apply for this scholarship?
Applicants must meet the following criteria to apply for an SSE Airtricity Scholarship:
- Hold an unconditional offer of a place on the first year of one of the programmes of study, as listed below, for entry into the academic year 2017/18 at the University of Ulster or South West College.
- Have a home address in either County Tyrone or County Derry~Londonderry
*Applicable programmes of study:
University of Ulster
The Faculty of Computing and Engineering
- BEng Hons Clean Technology
- BEng Hons Computer Engineering
- BEng/MEng Hons Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- BEng Hons Electronic Engineering • BEng Hons Mechanical Engineering
- BEng/MEng Hons Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
- BEng Hons Mechatronic Engineering
- BEng/MEng Hons Renewable Energy Engineering
- BSc Hons Biomedical Engineering
- BSc Hons Computer Science
- BSc Hons Computing Technologies
- MSc Engineering
- MSc Biomedical Engineering
The Faculty of Life and Health Sciences
- BSc Hons Biotechnology
- BSc Hons Environmental Science
- BSc Hons Environmental Science with Computing
- BSc Hons Stratified Medicine
- MSc Biotechnology
- MSc Stratified Medicine
The Ulster Business School
- BSc Hons Business with Environmental Science
- BSc Hons Business Studies with other specialisms
- BSc Hons Management and Leadership Development
- MSc Management
- MSc Management in Creative Industries
South West College Courses:
Level 2 Online Courses - Both courses are 100% funded by SSE Airtricity with unlimited places
- Microsoft qualification
- The Health & Safety programme
Foundation Degree Level Technical
- Foundation Degree in Sustainable Construction
- Foundation Degree in Wind Turbine Technology
- Foundation Degree in Civil Engineering & Transport
- Foundation Degree in Energy, Environment & Sustainability
Foundation Degree Level Non-Technical
- Foundation Degree in Early Childhood Studies
- Foundation Degree in Design – Product & Graphic
- Accountant Technicians Ireland IATI Level 5
- Foundation Degree in Creative Media Production
How will applications be shortlisted?
Applications will be shortlisted on the basis of:
- Meeting the essential eligibility criteria (see the answer to question 2)
- The quality of application including an ability to demonstrate: academic excellence; the potential impact of the scholarship; and the benefit of their studies on future career aspirations
Will other factors contribute to the success of my application?
Priority consideration will be given to:
- Applicants with a home address within an immediate 12 mile radius of the Slieve Kirk Wind Park
- Applicants who can demonstrate evidence of a low household income
What is the application deadline?
All applications must be sent by post and include supporting evidence is 20th October 2017. Please note that applications received after this date will not be considered.
Where do I send my completed application?
Please send completed application form to your chosen University or College :
THE UNIVERSITY OF ULSTER
The SSE Airtricity Scholarship
Attention: Director- Centre for Engineering and Renewable Energy (CERE)
University of Ulster
SOUTH WEST COLLEGE
The SSE Airtricity Scholarship
Attention: John Moss
2 Mountjoy Road
Who do I contact if I have any queries?
Applicant queries to the University of Ulster should be emailed to SSE.Scholarships@ulster.ac.uk
OR South West College at Sheila.Lynd@swc.ac.uk
. Each educational partner will aim to respond within 3 working days.
Please note that applicants are expected to read the information on the website/application form before seeking assistance.
Please ensure that you allow sufficient time prior to the deadline of 20th October 2017 if sending a query to the email address.
When will I know if my application has been successful or not?
The panel will meet to consider the applications in the last week of October. It is expected that both successful and unsuccessful applicants will be contacted regarding the outcome of their application by early November 2017.
If I am unsuccessful, will I receive feedback on my application?
Unfortunately due to the expected high volume of applications individual/detailed feedback will not be provided.
How do I access an application form?
Applicants may download an application form by clicking on the following link and referring to the details on the SSE Airtricity Scholarship swc.ac.uk/SSEScholarship
Will my documentation be returned?
Unfortunately original documents cannot be returned so you are advised to make a photocopy of any documents that you might need to retain for your own records.
How will I know if my application has been received?
If you have provided an email address on your application form, you will receive an email to confirm receipt of your application.
If I am successful how quickly will I receive the scholarship funding?
Successful applicants will be formally notified by the University of Ulster and South West College of their individual payment schedule. Each recipient will be required to attend the University and College Award Ceremony so as to secure funding.
If I am successful are there certain expectations I must fulfil?
Terms and conditions of the SSE Airtricity Scholarship are included in Appendix B of the application form. All successful applicants will be bound by the contract which they must sign in order to agree to the conditions of the scholarship.
If successful do I have to apply every year?
No if you have been successful, you will receive your scholarship for the duration of your chosen course subject to agreed terms and conditions. Work placement years are not eligible for funding.
If unsuccessful can I reapply next year?
If you did not take a course place for 2017/18 you may re-apply the following year. This scholarship however is only open to first year students and may not be applied for during subsequent course years.
Download Application Form
Applicants may download an application form by clicking on the following link Download Application Form