International Student Support
The decision to attend college in another country can be a difficult one to make. Being far away from your friends and family and being thrust into an unfamiliar environment is tough. Add in the problems of linguistic and cultural differences, even among fairly similar nations, as well as the high cost of studying abroad and you can see how it might be both mentally and emotionally taxing to be an international student.
South West College recognises these challenges and has put in place supportive wraparound services to assist international students.
Student Support and Welfare
Student Support Centres at South West College are situated in the heart of each of our three main campuses, and all international students have access to:
- International Officer - helps with all practical issues such as, police registration, working in the UK, bank accounts, registering with a doctor and dentist, and educational support. Our Adviser is here to support you throughout your stay and you can make appointments, or just drop in to see him to discuss any matter that may be of concern to you.
- Counsellors - help any student experiencing personal problems in a confidential manner. Counselling provides a safe environment away from student’s daily routine where students can explore problems or feelings which are difficult to manage. Trained Student Support staff are available to help students who are suffering from relationship difficulties, family issues, depression, addictions or any other issues. To make an appointment with a counsellor please contact the Student Welfare Service by calling in or emailing them as stated previously.
- Student Engagement Officers - offer general support to students experiencing problems whilst at the College, by listening and signposting them to other support services either in College or externally. Student Liaison Officers also support various health and well- being services offered within South West College.
- Student Support Officers - are available to offer confidential help or advice on any issue relating to academic financial support, please contact your Student Support Officer by calling into Student Support or by emailing the following staff:
South West College Student Services team are available to support all international students with every aspect of College life. The Student Services Team understands the challenges that international students face in settling into student life, a new culture, and a new living environment.
The team are here to help with the following:
- Course information
- Funding and welfare support
- Learning support
- Managing money
- Access to health service
- Cultural integration