Higher Level Apprenticeships
Higher Level Apprenticeship
If you've completed A Levels or equivalent, you may be interested in a Higher Level Apprenticeship, which offers the opportunity to gain quality training and a recognised higher qualification while in paid employment.
Higher Level Apprenticeship qualifications
Higher Level Apprenticeships (HLAs) currently offer you qualifications from Level 4 to Level 7 (Masters degree). The majority are at Level 5 (Foundation degree or equivalent).
The length of a Higher Level Apprenticeship will vary depending on the programme you chose, but will be a minimum of two years.
Benefits to apprentices
By taking part in a Higher Level Apprenticeship, you can gain the skills that employers need and that are relevant to the local economy, therefore improving your prospects of good earnings and sustained employment.
Other benefits include:
- earning while you learn
- achieving professional-level qualifications without paying higher education tuition fees
- increased opportunities for career progression
- a clear pathway to achieving ambitions in the workplace
Benefits to employers
Higher Level Apprenticeships allow employers to train staff to the level needed so they have strong technical and good employability skills.
An apprenticeship can:
- fill higher level skills gap
- attract higher calibre staff
- increase productivity
- develop existing staff
Opportunities are available for you to gain qualifications from Level 4 upwards if you are a new employee or an existing employee in a new job role. Entry requirements will depend on the apprenticeship pathway.
To take part in the Higher Level Apprenticeship programme you need, as a minimum, to:
- be employed or be about to take up paid employment as an apprentice, or be an existing employee moving to a new job role, with a Northern Ireland based company
- work a minimum of 21 hours per week (which includes time for ‘off-the-job’ training)
- have achieved all necessary entry qualifications determined by the relevant sector
- pass any entry tests specified by the relevant sector
- be the minimum school leaving age in Northern Ireland
Higher Level Apprenticeships available
The Higher Level Apprenticeships available at SWC are:
If you're not sure about which apprenticeship you want to follow, or want more information on what the Apprenticeships programme can do for you, contact the HLA Programme Manager
HLA Programme Manager
Tel: 028 8225 0109 3677
Mobile: 07734 281026